3 years ago
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Edit 11:18 AM:
Yeah, so I saw the rest of the game and I have to say it was nothing better. Ozzie really sucked on all three goals he let in.
This game leaves me with a bad feeling. The Wings got shut out for the seventh time this year and they seemed to do nothing right. Granted the Islanders were good, but the Wings seemed to be second to every puck, weakest in every battle and the passes were sloppy and panicky. The timing was off on just about everything. Just a stinker, a real bad one. Why does the Wings seem to let up against weaker teams? I'm a bit scared about the Canes game too (I first wrote "Cans" by mistake and it almost made me smile), are the Wings gonna get themselves together for that one or just continue this shit? Hopefully getting Ericsson back can light a little fire under their arses. Fuck this sucked. End of edit.
So, Kronner's knee has no extra injury... As discussed in the comments here a few of us really feared this one, and for a good reason, this one stunk!
The Islanders started out best and after just a couple of minutes Meech got beat severly behind the net. They Isles got it out in front, where Stuart didn't have his man and bang! 1-0. Then Helm went down. I was ready to vomit, but he was back the next shift. Through the next minutes both teams had some great chances, but the Wings seemed to turn over the puck a lot and their passes seemed to hit skates, the heels of sticks and just not be accurate. The game continued in this vein through much of the period, but with fewer chances. Towards the end of the period the Islanders took over again and they got another goal after Helm fell and lost the puck in his own zone. After that both Janik and Rafalski tried to give the Islanders more goals, but luckily Howard stood tall. Shit period. Outplayed by the Islanders.
The second started off like the first ended, the Wings played sloppy and didn't get a shot on goal for like 6-7 minutes at least. Actually 9. Then Stuart made the worst turnover ever and Schremp got alone with Howard for his second of the night. Howard out, Ozzie in, lots of line changes. That didn't help, the Islanders continued to dominate. Then the Isles got a PP, then Streit scored. Horrible by Ozzie. Towards the end the Wings got a PP. They had some established zone time, but no dice, instead Dats took a penalty to make it 4-on-4.
12 mins left. 3:02 AM. I'm giving up. I'll watch the rest and update this tomorrow
- 3 man referee crew. Weird.
- Ville Leino, I know you're a moron, but please try and understand this "get the puck deep!" No English you say? Swedish then "Få pucken djupt i den offensiva sonen!" I can't give it to ya in Finnish, but this should convey my feelings: Perkele Voi Vittu, Saatana Joulopoukki (Fucking butterpussy, Satan's Santa Claus).
- Kronner and Lilja would never make those ridiculous "just get it out of the zone"-plays.
- If you're gonna be South Korean and move to America Richard Park is a nice name to have. Guy could've been named Sum-Yong-Fuk or something. Just saying.
- I think it was right to put Ozzie in. It shook things up, Ozzie got to see ice, Howard got to rest a bit and there was no way the game could be fucked up harder anyway.
- Gotta credit the Islanders for good puck movement and an excellent forecheck. Still, the Wings sucked.
- Note to Ken Daniels: I do not care if two 51s or 13s or whatever are battling. It's not that weird. Call me when two 666s are battling and I'll crank up some Sabbath and run for cover, but until then, shut up about that.
- Octopusses are for playoffs damnit!
Keys to the game
-Can Jimmah shine once again?Not as spectacular as in the last couple of games, but he made quite a few excellent saves. Then he was pulled. Not that he was bad, none of the goals were his fault.
- Will Nick score?
- Will Z look better tonight?
He has poise, but he seems like he's lacking some upper body strenght right now and he seems to lose a lot of battles. Still he's a presence.
- What will Helm do to amaze us?
Fall a lot (bad skate in the first?). Other than that he ran around and did lots of stuff like the little energizer-bunny he is.
- Can Pasha get another one?
- Will the Wings realize that Tavares is always in the same spot (far side, a little outside the crease) on the PP and that he is lethal from there?
Luckily they did...
Play of the game
Player of the game
Cleary battled hard, but this is mostly a choice just to choose someone.