Sunday, February 21, 2010

The hug (An actuall Red Wings post)

Thanks to Dena for finding the video of this and providing the link. You can find it at the end:

So, I woke up in the middle of the night last night and couldn't sleep. So I had my regular ritualistic watching of the Fight Night. There are many moments in that game that stand out to me and I am sure they stand out to you guys too. But there is one moment, that I think I have mentioned before, that gets me, moves me and makes me smile every time. It might just be the best Red Wing moment that doesn't include the Stanley Cup. After DMac's winning goal he stands by the exit high fiveing all the players. At the end Draper comes along, and he gives him a big bear hug. It's hard to explain what is so special about it, but the way it says a thousand words really makes it special. And I think it shows what kinda guys these guys are and also how much that game meant to both those two and the team as a whole. Just a beautiful moment I had to acknowledge.

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE that part! I can't decide if that moment is the icing on the cake or my all-time favorite moment of the Fight Night. Thinking about all the history between those two guys and how they always seem to support each other no matter what just makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. Those guys are both the consumate teammate kind of guys. That goes for Malts too. And that's why I love them so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are the best of friends, simple as that.

    It's why when Mac wanted to make a comeback he approached Draper first (and admitted afterwards that he was nervous as hell to do so), because he knew if anyone would help him, it would be his best friend.

    Nice to see that kind of tie last so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's incredible and it's bonding like that and guys like that that makes a winning team. You can have all the skill you want, but if you're not a team, you don't have a chance (see NYR after the 94 cup)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, spring training has started ... :)

    http://www.blessyouboys.com/

    //end nagging :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually signed up there yesterday, so I will probably start posting there when I come back from Vienna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figured it out. Just wanted to say that watch for our Larry Murphy hacking the shit out of someone laying prone on the ice. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I love you Larry Murphy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for posting this...never noticed it before. was nice seeing the victory over the scumbags last night...i was at the Joe earlier this year when they lost. but the scoreboard on my side only said 'olorado'...classic...and you are THE MAN for posting the Turbonegro video!! That is REAL RAWK N' ROLL!

    ReplyDelete