Thursday, February 18, 2010

USA recap and the return of truly awesome

So, because today is thursday (the day I go to my dad's house and walk the dog) and the fact that my dad's company/insitute/agency/firm had it's yearly dinner between the board and leaders and the minister of business and trade and his crew, which made me have to drive my siblings around, I missed the second period and the beginning of the third. Seen some replays, so here's my short take.


Tora Berger, I have never loved a so ugly woman so much as I love her today

We started out badly, and just as I predicted before the Olympics, the defensemen from the Norwegian elite league were too slow. Their errors lead to 5 of the 6 goals. The last was a bad faceoff. We came on stronger later in the game and had some good offense. The goal was a nice individual effort. Nice to see us have a bit of fight in us, but sad to see a late collapse.
- Patrick Thoresen was the best Norwegian for the second game in a row. He has clearly shown that he deserves the one-way NHL deal he wants this summer.
- Mats Aasen looked great again. I hope Kyle's rumours are true. I'd love to see him as a Red Wing.
- Like Pasha, we need more shoot.

Over to biathlon: Tora Berger from Norway followed up a good pursuit (where she had the best time, but started to far behind to win) with another great race and took her first Olympic gold and Norway's 100th winter olympic gold ever (first to reach that barrier) with a 20 second differential. Nice to see the eternal number 4 win. Elena Khrustaleva from Kazakstan took the silver, Darja Domratsyeva from Belarus took the bronze.


Emil Hegle Svendsen seems to be taking the throne as the best biathlonist in the world this year


But the King himself, the best biathlonist, nay, best ski athlete ever, Ole Einar Bjørndalen is still kicking pretty hard. Silver today.

In the men's normal distance race, the crown prince of biathlon Emil Hegle Svendsen took the gold and also the world cup lead. The king himself, Ole Einar Bjørndalen shared the silver with a Belarusian named Novikov. This put Norway up to three golds, which is one ahead of Sweden (beating Sweden is the main goal). So the awesome is back! We also beat Germany in curling. We're truly on the board, we have momentum, the court case is dropped for now, I don't hate my nation anymore. World, look out! We're coming tro get you! (OK, the biathlon race is actually not over, but noone who are left has a chance it seems).


Sergei Novikov, who in an interview on Norwegian TV said that he could barely believe he was sharing the podium with those two guys. We think. His English wasn't that good

No comments:

Post a Comment