Due to an old promise I had to be a chauffeur tonight and thus missed the first. Apparently the Wings started very well and Pasha and Eaves scored a goal each in the first four minutes. Sadly, Jochen Hecht made it 2-1 after 7 minutes.
I got home after about 5 minutes of the second, 5 minutes dominated by the Sabres it seems, just in time to see the replay of Hecht's tying goal. The Wings to outworked on that one. The Sabres took it to the Wings for the next few minutes. Around the midway point of the period the Wings got their first shot on goal of the period and started dominating. They owned the next seven minutes and players like Eaves, Z and the Mule all had amazing chances, but Ryan Miller was frickin huge for the Sabres. With three minutes left Cleary and a Sabre both held each other and hooked each other and only Cleary got penalized. The Sabres PP got nothing, but Flip and Miller were inches from scoring their second shortie in two games.
The Sabres started out the best in the third, but both teams had a huge chance early on. Then the Wings got the most obvious interference PP ever. They played well and got a post shot from Nick, but no cigar. The game evened out after that, but then the Sabres got a PP. It was dangerous, but again, no goals. The Wings dominated until there were 5 minutes left, then the Sabres took over. They got as close as a post. With a little more than a minute left, Tyler Myers took a delay of game penalty and while the Wings didn't manage to score, they took the rest of the PP with them into overtime.
And towards the end of that PP, Rafa kept the PP streak alive and secured the win with a great shot that Miller didn't see because of Cleary's excellent screen. Win!
- As Ken and Mick noted there were several minor headshots from the Sabres. Non of them of the type I want suspended, but they should lead to minors so they are elmininated from the game. Not good at all.
- On the other hand, Mike Grier passed up an opportunity to absolutely smoke Rafa, because he saw it wouldn't help the game and possibly hurt Rafa. Grier has always been a class act and a guy I respect a lot.
- Ryan Miller has probably never had as much goodwill in Motown as now. Nice job squabbling it by trying to land himself a major movie role.
Keys to the game
- So, I heard someone murmur something about a couple of brothers meeting in this game. Who are they? Who will be the best brother?
Ryan and Drew Miller. Drew had a great game, but Ryan was HUGE.
- Will Pasha keep playing dangelicious hockey with his linemates?
He scored in the first and from what I saw he won pucks, dangled and played great with Franzie.
- Can Jimmah be the better goalie in the game?
I have no idea about the first goal, but the second wasn't Jimmah's fault. Jimmah played well as far as I saw, but Miller showed why he is NHL's best goalie.
Play of the game
Rafa's goal. The only one I saw. But boy was it huge!
Player of the game
Pasha was the best on the ice yet again. Superstar form has arrived
3 years ago