First of all. Official hashtag for the series: #beatthesnake. Use it!
So, here's my preview of the series against the Dogs:
Phoenix: 50-25-7, 107 pts, 225-202 (+23)
Wings: 44-24-14, 102 pts, 229-216 (+13)
Take away the shootout and the Wing would pass the Coyotes.
Bryzgalov: 69 GP (69 starts), 42-20-6, 2.29 GAA, .920 save percentage, 8 SO, 1 A, 4 PIM
LaBarbera: 17 GP (13 starts), 8-5-1, 2.13 GAA, .928, 0 SO, 0 A, 0 PIM
Bryzgalov is the best chance the Dogs have of winning. LaBarbera is actually a pretty solid backup. But can he handle being thrown into the playoffs if it comes to that?
Howard: 63 games, (61 starts), 37-15-10, 2.26 GAA, .924, 3 SO, 2 A, 2 PIM
Osgood: 23 GP (21 starts), 7-9-4, 3.02 GAA, .888, 1 SO, 1 A, 0 PIM
The Wings have a hot rookie and a backup that we know has the ability to turn it on for the playoffs.
The Wings have a few guys who are higher in points, but the Coyotes score by committee. But one has to believe that the fire power is higher in Detroit and that those numbers would have been different if people had been healthy.
Doan, Upshall 18
No huge scorers for each team, but again, Detroit have more fire power than it looks like from those numbers.
+/- leaders and losers
Holmstrom, Kronwall 5
How the Dogs can pull this off
- Bryzgalov shuts the door
- Tight D, keeping the Wings to the perimeter.
- Someone starts scoring
Detroit keys to the series
- They need to up the intensity and speed
- Play tight, no defensive collapses, no mistakes and turnovers
- Continue to be good on special teams
- 4 line hockey
- Datsyuk, Z and Franzén need to step up
- Be focused. Do not mail it in.
Game 1 keys to the game
- This is an inexperienced team. Go out hard. Be fast, play intense. Show no mercy.
- Tight in the D zone
- Keep the early excited Coyotes at bay and grind them down
- Stay out of the box.
3 years ago