Welcome to 25:19, a new feature that will run every Monday for 19 (duh!) weeks. Every week I will make 5 (Nick) lists, with 5 (number of rings Nick will retire with) points on each list. Thus having 25 (DMac) points in total every week. The lists will be random hockey stuff, some rankings, other in random order. Some will be opinions, others humour. I will leave it to you judge what is what. Hopefully you will find it entertaining and/or provoking enough to leave your ideas on things I missed and what I did wrong in the comments.
1. Five controversial statesments I honestly believe in.
- Nicklas Lidström is the best defenseman ever. Sorry Bobby, you are number 2.
- Showfights between two enforcers like May vs. Barch or Brasheer vs. Boogard are not only useless, but hurtful to the game and its image.
- Don Cherry has been irrelevant for a long time and it is time to throw his nationalist ass out of TV.
- Hockey in the South is a terrible idea.
- If it continues like now with 2 per year and the same teams again and again, the Winter Classic will not be exciting at all five years from now.
2. Five ideas for fan behaviour I wanna see
- Devils fans should throw copies of the CBA on the ice when Kovy scores.
- Try and make a chant longer than "Let's go [team name]". Go to a European football game. Listen to their amazing chants and songs. Make something similar.
- For fans in stupider markets we require less. Chicago fans only have to learn their teams name, so they can root FOR them instead of only knowing to chant "Detroit sucks"
- Colorado fans we require even less of. They can start improving by actually showing up.
- Every Phoenix fan should have their faces in Doan-face position during every game
3. Five hockey players with girls names
- Marian Hossa
- Marian Gaborik - Yeah I know, same name, but they both deserve a mention
- Jody Shelley - Oh well, maybe it needs to be Jodi to be a girl, but still
- Kari Lethonen - Old Norwegian farmer ladies are named Kari
- Cindy Rosby - Cop out? Unfair? Cheap? Maybe, but it's my blog, so sue me!
4. Five songs that should be played when a certain player scores
- Pat Kane - Been Caught Stealing (Jane's Addiction) - Okay, so what he did was robbery, but close enough
- Kovy - Money, money, money (Abba)
- Derek Boogard - Once in a liftime (Vandenberg) - Cause that's how usual that event is.
- Kris Versteeg - London Bridge (Fergie) - I wanna see him sing and dance along
- Sami Salo - Unbreakable (Westlife) - Cause well.. That's just mean.
5. The five most memorable Red Wings playoff goals in my time
1. Darren McCarty vs. Philly, SCF game 4, 97 - Best goal ever
2. The Statue of Liberty - Royahahahaha
3. Steve Yzerman vs. Blues, game 7, 96 - I love that he even stole the puck from # 99.
4. Nick vs. Canucks, WCQF, game 3, 02 - We were all so scared, then this happened.
5. Z vs. Pens, SCF, game 6, 08 - Because the Stanley Cup winning goal probably should have been waved off.
Gotta give you all a reason to read these, so there will be eye candy in every one of these. Here's Emmanuelle Chirqui:
And seeing as most of my readers are women, there will be some for them too: