Wednesday, September 22, 2010

25:19 week 8: Disappointments, arena names, Datsyuk and more

Welcome to 25:19, a feature that will run every Tuesday for 19 (duh!) weeks. Every week I will make 5 (Nick) lists, with 5 (number of rings Nick will retire with) points on each list. Thus having 25 (DMac) points in total every week. The lists will be random hockey stuff, some rankings, other in random order. Some will be opinions, others humour. I will leave it to you judge what is what. Hopefully you will find it entertaining and/or provoking enough to leave your ideas on things I missed and what I did wrong in the comments.

1. Five teams that will disappoint this season
- Chicago: Will disappoint us by being decent and making the playoffs, and their fans by not being near a division title or a cup.
- Tampa Bay: High expectations and a lot of new faces, but still not enough depth.
- New York Rangers: Cause they always do.
- Toronto: No, this is not a playoff team.
- Sharks: No cup this year either.

2. Five reasons I've missed hockey
- I miss seeing my team win.
- I miss the goal horn
- I miss the speed and intensity
- I miss the sounds of the game.
- I miss the huge hits.

3. Five companies that should buy arena naming rights
- Red Bull Center, in New Jersey, cause let's face it, you need ten of those to stay awake during a Devils game.
- Fisherman's friend Pavillion, in San Jose, yeah kinda lame, but uh..
- Progressive Center, in Montreal, cause you're gonna need car insurance if you park outside for a playoff game.
- Bud Lite Center and Miller Lite Center, in Pittsburgh and Chicago, cause the teams are as overhyped as the products.
- Prozac Place, in Edmonton, cause their fans need it.

4. Five amazing old player nicknames
- "One Eyed" Frank McGee (Ottawa Silver Seven 1903-1906)
- Georges "The Tabasco Kid" Poulin (Montreal Canadiens 1909-1917)
- Georges "The Chicoutimi Cucumber" Vezina (Montreal Canadiens 1910-1926)
- Goldie "The Cinnamon Bearcat" Prodger (Various teams 1909-1925)
- Ace "Major Hoople of Bracebridge" Bailey (Toronto Maple Leafs 1926-1933(

5. Five Pavel Datsyuk clips that will make you smile and be fired up for the season
- Hey Mike Grier, goodbye Mike Grier
- I can flip it over the net too.
- Who the hell is Tomas Voukoun?
- Maybe the Hawks should have watched this before they signed Turco.
- A real #DanEllisProblem


Eye Candy
Going a different way today



And I heard grey hair is hot..

6 comments:

  1. Bud Lite Center and Miller Lite Center is one of the best ideas and funniest things I have read in a really really really long time.

    I hope TB does better than a "disappointment" but agree with you all the way on the Hawks and Tuna.

    And finally, the reason I'm leaving this comment is because you made me break my laptop out to watch the Pasha clips. It just wasn't right to limit it to a small screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks :)

    And yeah, I hope so too, but I just can't make myself believe in them.

    And yes, Pasha deserves a big screen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're surprisingly good at picking out eye candy for the girls... and yes, at least on him the grey hair works quite nicely

    ReplyDelete
  4. To you or Millsie? He rocks that grey hair, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was joking.. And I meant to me...

    ReplyDelete