In a sentence
Ozzie and the guys stink it up in the first and bad finishing skills seals the deal.
Slow start. Then Kindl took a dumb penalty. It was killed off nicely, but the Wings got nothing going. Then Vrbata turned Kindl inside out and scored. Shortly after Modano took an unlucky hooking penalty and on the PP Yandle got to be alone for far too long, Ozzie went down way too fast and he scored. The Wings tried to bounce back, but their first PP was so bad that they got scored on again. The shot hit Nick's stick and became wobbly, but Oz probably should have had that one too. The Wings woke up towards the end of the period and had some chances, and got two more PPs but remained ineffective.
The Wings started the second on the PP. They had lots of chances, but got no goal. They continued to pressure after that, including a brilliant shift where Pasha deked every person in the world twice. But still no goals. And the shift ended in Homer taking an unlucky penalty. It was nicely killed off and the Wings went back to pressuring. They had big chances and dominated big time, but they just couldn't score. They had another PP, but that was ineffective too. At the midway mark the Coyotes got back into it a little bit. But then Bryzgalov took a penalty and on the PP Hudler had a brilliant shot-pass that Mule skillfully redirected in. The rest of the period went back and forth, but the Wings had the most pressure. No more goals though.
The third started with a few Jets chances before the Wings took over. A nice feed from Z found Pasha who shot three times, Bryz masterfully stopped them all, but Homer banged it in. But then Bert took a dumbass penalty, Helm drew one shortly after, but the Dogs took over and even though the Wings had better chances, they limited them to few. And then the Dogs got a PP towards the end. It was killed off and followed by a big flurry where Kronner nearly scored. Instead the Dogs scored in the empty net. Game over.
- Oz was bad. Really bad. But he said he was gonna be better this year and I believe in giving him more than this game to try it. If he fails in the next few games, then he is done, but I won't judge yet.
- In the second Ozzie got to show his top skill. Making a big save after having nothing to do for a few minutes. He did it several times. Didn't make up for the first period, but nice to see.
- He was good in the third too. Ended with good stats. Yes, he let in some bad goals and doesn't get an approved mark on the game, but he is not as terrible as everyone made him out to be after the first. Relax people. Let him find his groove.
- Credit Bryzgalov for good play and the Coyotes for getting sticks into the shooting lanes.
3 things that worked
- Dominated the second period
- Never gave up
- Strong last two periods by Ozzie
3 things that didn't work
- Ozzie had a terrible first period
- Anemic first by the team.
- Too cute and ineffective offensively. Especially on the PP.
Play of the game
When Pavel dangled everyone behind the goal.
Player of the game
Pavel. He's way too cute with his play at times, but damn that guy is magical.
Now we're done with playing games, on to serious buisness on Saturday
3 years ago