Monday, January 31, 2011

Dear Nicklas Lidström

I am sitting here watching the All Star Game. I might be buzzed or drunk. But I am crying. Tears of joy. I am wearing my Lidström jersey. I am watching you be a plus-5 after two periods of a 7-6 game. I am watching you, thinking about you, remembering all the joy you have given me. You have been a Red Wing since I was a toddler, you were a Red Wing before I became a fan. My entire Red Wings life has been with you in it and strongly based on your amazingness. You are perfect, you are amazing, you are probably the best defenseman the NHL has ever seen. Thank you for that. Thank you for bringing our team all the glory you have brought, thank you for being an amazing ambassador for the Wings and for the sport both on and off the ice. Thank you for existing. I cannot imagine how I will feel the day you retire. It's gonna break my heart. But for now, keep on rocking and thank you for every amazing memory you have brought me over the last 16 years. I am truly thankful for that and thankful for you.

People, let's all stop and take a moment to imagine the last 20 years of Red Wings history without Nick. Try to imagine a life without Nick. Be thankful. We Red Wings fans have been blessed with a lot. Stevie, Stanley Cups etc etc, but being blessed with the opportunity to watch the greatest defenseman of all time, arguably one of the five best players of all time and an all around great human being play for and represent our team every night for 20 years is a hell of a gift. Let us be thankful. Let us appreciate Nick when we still have him. Thank you Nicklas. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are THE MAN.

Andy, Oslo, Norway.

2 comments: